Hot dogs and bad puns
“Man charged with baking ex-girlfriend’s dog,” read the Chicago Sun-Times headline.
The story says that a 31-year-old Green Bay man accused of killing his ex-girlfriend’s dog in an oven, has been arrested in Michigan.
“Green Bay investigators say the man broke into his ex-girlfriend’s home and put her 5-month-old Pekingese-poodle mix in the oven. Prosecutors plan to charge the man with felony counts of animal mistreatment and burglary. The woman has said she came home to a smoky house and found her pet dead in the hot oven.”
Rocky, a dog- and barbeque-lover, coincidentally notes that the Chicago Sun-Times recently filed for bankruptcy. He also recognizes that this story gives rise to irresistable puns and jokes in “poor taste”:
1) Hot dogs, anyone?
2) The ex- is no genius. The expression is “The Rabbit Died,” or “There’s a BUN in the oven!”
3) Peking-ese Duck for dinner?
4) If the boyfriend was in a hurry, why didn’t he use the microwave?
5) Pass the A-1 sauce. Its bark was worse than its bite.
6) The boyfriend cooked a Pekingese-poodle “mix.” He couldn’t even follow the recipe from “scratch.”
The Humane Society has offered a reward of up to $2,500 for information leading to a conviction. A cynical person might even suggest that the dog owner “cooked up” the whole story.